Dental anxiety is a painful reality for many people, and some people are so anxious about visiting the dentist, they simply don’t go or postpone visits until they have a dental emergency. This can negatively impact their overall well-being in addition to their oral health.
At Paddington Dentistry, we offer sedation dentistry so you can get the dental care you need—without having to feel stressed about it.
Please continue reading to learn more about sedation dentistry in Paddington, NSW. We’ve included many of the common questions we get from patients who are anxious about visiting the dentist or who would like more information about sedation dentistry.
- What is sedation dentistry?
- What is dental anxiety?
- What causes dental anxiety?
- What types of sedation do you offer?
- How does sedation dentistry work?
- Do you offer IV sedation?
- What are the benefits of IV sedation?
- How do I make an appointment?
What is sedation dentistry?
Sedation dentistry refers to using medications to keep people calm and relaxed during dental procedures. It helps reduce anxiety over visiting the dentist as well as making longer treatments more comfortable.
What is dental anxiety?
It’s normal to feel some anxiety over the thought of a dental procedure. But some people are so anxious about it they avoid going to the dentist, putting off treatment for years in some cases. This can have serious consequences on a person’s wellness, including:
- Gum disease. Gum disease is a serious condition that can harm your systemic health. It is also one of the most common reasons for tooth loss among adults. Many people don’t get treatment for gum disease until it is quite advanced. The only way to know if your gums are healthy is by visiting your Paddington, NSW dentist.
- Tooth pain. Neglected teeth can develop tooth decay, which, when left untreated, can lead to painful infections and emergency root canal treatment.
- Systemic infections. More and more studies are showing a relationship between the health of your mouth and the overall wellness of the rest of the body. This can have serious health implications, including the development of heart disease, stroke and certain kinds of cancer.
Whatever your anxiety level, we want you to get the dental care you need—and deserve. Sedation dentistry at our Paddington, NSW dental clinic can make your dental experience that much more comfortable.
What causes dental anxiety?
People experience dental anxiety for many different reasons. Sometimes a bad childhood experience at the dentist lingers into adulthood. Other people don’t like the lack of control they feel having someone look inside their mouths. Still, others might be afraid they’ve left a dental condition untreated for too long, so they are embarrassed about the state of their mouth.
Our Paddington, NSW dentist and the rest of the team understand dental anxiety and will never make judgments about the state of your oral health. We don’t want people to lose their teeth or their health over concerns about visiting the dentist.
Other reasons for dental anxiety include:
- A strong gag reflex
- A fear of dental pain
- A more generalised anxiety disorder
At Paddington Dentistry, we aim to make visiting the dentist a positive experience.
What types of sedation do you offer?
We have found that sometimes when our patients know what to expect during treatment, this can go a long way toward calming fears. If that isn’t enough, however, we can also offer the following:
- Nitrous oxide. Breathed in through a mask placed over your nose, nitrous goes to work almost instantly, helping patients achieve a relaxed state. It leaves the system just as quickly, so you are back to normal right after the mask is removed and able to drive yourself back to home or work.
- Oral sedation. With this type of sedation, our Paddington, NSW top dentist will prescribe a pill for you to take before you come in. This sedative will help calm the jitters you might feel before coming in for your appointment and make the treatment itself more comfortable. Patients will need someone to drive them to and from their dentist appointment.
- Intravenous sedation. IV sedation at our Paddington, NSW dental clinic means that anaesthetic medications are administered directly into the bloodstream, so it goes to work quickly. Because of the drowsiness you’ll feel with this type of sedation, there is a recovery period afterwards. Patients will need a friend or family member to drive them home after their appointment.
If the patient is in good health, the risk of a serious reaction to sedation dentistry is very small.
How does sedation dentistry work?
We will first take a complete medical history and ask about any medications you are taking before we can assess whether or not sedation dentistry at our Paddington, NSW dental clinic is safe for you.
To help ensure your safety, we will monitor your vitals during the entire process, including breathing, blood pressure, heart rate and the amount of oxygen in the blood. A team member will also be by your side during your entire appointment.
When your sedation medication starts to take effect, you will begin to feel relaxed and at ease. If necessary, we will also numb the treatment area completely before we begin any procedure.
Most of our sedation dentistry patients report feeling like time flies during their procedure while they are under the sedative. Often, they have no memory of the treatment and no feelings of anxiety.
Unless you are getting nitrous oxide, you should avoid operating a vehicle or making any plans after your sedation dentistry in Paddington, NSW. With a friend or family to drive you, you should head home and relax. After a good night’s sleep, you should feel back to normal and able to continue with your regular activities.
Do you offer IV sedation?
Yes. When our patients choose this type of sedation, we arrange with a specialist to attend in the practice during the appointment. One of our Paddington Dentistry team members will be with you the entire time.
What are the benefits of IV sedation?
The primary benefit of sedation dentistry at our Paddington, NSW dental clinic is that it provides people with a way to overcome their fears and get the dental treatment they need. Also, IV sedation can:
- Let you sleep through the entire procedure. Most people won’t even remember anything from the procedure.
- Make you aware of your surroundings while undergoing treatment, but keep you from feeling pain or discomfort.
- Relax you enough during lengthier treatments, so you have no anxiety from having your mouth open for extended periods of time. This is ideal for patients who want to get a number of procedures out of the way at the same time.
Sedation levels can be adjusted as needed, and results are instantaneous.
How do I make an appointment?
At Paddington Dentistry, we want to make it as easy as possible for you and your family to get the dental care you need, which is why we offer evening appointments to help you juggle your busy schedule.
We are open:
- Monday 8:30 AM – 5:30 PM
- Tuesday 10:30 AM – 7:00 PM
- Wednesday 8:30 AM – 5:30 PM
- Thursday 10:30 AM – 7:00 PM
- Friday 8:30 AM – 5:30 PM
- Saturday by appointment only
Call us on (02) 9360 6245 to arrange an appointment.
Dental anxiety is a painful reality for many people, and some are so anxious about visiting the dentist, they simply don’t go at all or postpone visits until they have a dental emergency. This can negatively impact their overall well-being in addition to their oral health. At Paddington Dentistry, we offer sedation dentistry so you can get the dental care you need — without having to experience extreme stress and anxiety.
The popularity of sleep dentistry in Sydney
Over the years at Paddington Dentistry, we have seen countless cases of dental anxiety which has restricted our patients from receiving the dental work that they need. The services we offer in conjunction with our sedation and sleep dentistry in Sydney has enabled so many of our customers to overcome their fears and phobias of dental work to receive the treatments that they need — for a healthy level of oral hygiene. As sleep dentistry has expanded as a service in Australia, more and more patients are seeking this dental experience and are enjoying the benefit of a healthy smile as a result.
Types of sleep and sedation dentistry available
There are multiple ways that qualified dental practitioners can offer sleep and sedation dentistry in Sydney. The option you choose really depends on your personal preferences, physical conditions and how restrictive your anxiety can be when it comes to receiving dental work. If you are someone who feels slightly uncomfortable with every visit to the dentist then, after an initial consultation, we may decide that the use of nitrous oxide gas or oral sedation may be best for you. Both of these methods work to relax you during dental procedures, which can make the entire experience more comfortable for you.
For those who suffer from more serious forms of anxiety, we also offer the option of IV sedation which is more commonly known as sleep dentistry in Sydney. When you choose to go with IV sedation, a qualified medical professional will inject sedation drugs intravenously and remain present throughout the duration of your treatment to monitor your condition. Most people who choose this sedation option remember very little about the dental work they have had and enjoy the pleasure of waking up calmly once things are finished.
Affordable payment options
We understand that dental work in Australia can often be expensive and if you don’t receive the treatment you need, when you need it, these prices can escalate further. This is why we offer a variety of Zip Pay payment options for you to choose from — allowing you to pay for the dental work you need now over a period of time that may be more convenient for you. Whether you need major restorative dental work or you simply just don’t want to experience the discomfort of any dental treatments, you can choose to have sleep/sedation dentistry in Sydney if this option is preferable.
Your safety is our first priority
At Paddington Dentistry, your health and safety is our top concern. From your first appointment with us, we ensure that we take a complete medical history so we know that the options we can provide you will be safe. Our team of qualified dentists and oral hygienists pride themselves on taking the best care of our patients so when you visit us for sleep dentistry in Sydney, you know you are in the best possible hands.
Continue reading to learn more about sedation dentistry in Paddington, NSW. We’ve included many of the common questions we get from patients who are anxious about visiting the dentist or who would like more information about sedation dentistry.Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you overcome your fears to get the dental work you need with our sleep dentistry in Sydney.