Dental Implants in Paddington
If you are missing a tooth, it can be embarrassing—especially if it shows when you smile. This can lower your self-esteem and impact your social and professional life. You might also have trouble chewing, so you find yourself avoiding your favourite healthy foods, which can affect your overall health.
At Paddington Dentistry, we do our best to protect the health of our patients’ natural teeth, but we also realise that sometimes extraction is necessary. But losing a tooth does not have to ruin your smile permanently.
Dr Nick Nabavi, Dr Harry Hagis, and Dr Lindsay Feigen are here to help by offering tooth-replacement options, including dental implants.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are replacements for a missing tooth root made of biocompatible titanium. The implants are surgically placed into the jawbone where a tooth is missing, then left to heal for four to six months. Once the healing process is complete, the implants are integrated permanently into the jawbone, and a restoration crown is placed on top.
No other tooth replacement option looks as natural or functions as well as a dental implant.
What Makes Dental Implants Better?
Dental implants provide several advantages that other tooth replacement options, such as bridges and dentures, cannot, including:
- Stability. Even the best-fitting dentures can shift out of place when denture-wearers are chewing, speaking or laughing. Because dental implants become part of the body, they are completely stable. A set of four or six dental implants can also be used to stabilise dentures.
- Bone density. When teeth are lost, the body no longer stimulates the bone in that area. This is why many denture-wearers suffer from a condition known as 'facial collapse,' wherein the jawbone shrinks, giving them a sunken-in, aged look. The dental implants keep the jawbone healthy.
- Protection. When a tooth is missing, your remaining teeth tend to shift to fill in the space left behind. A dental implant prevents this from happening, so your healthy teeth are protected.
- Convenience. Caring for dentures can be a hassle since they have to be removed to be cleaned. Bridges require special care to ensure food particles do not get stuck beneath them. With dental implants, you can floss and brush the way you always have.
- Longevity. If you care for your dental implants properly at home and stay current with check-ups and cleans, they can last for a lifetime. This makes them an excellent investment over other tooth replacement options.
What Is Involved in the Dental Implants Procedure?
After our dentists conduct a comprehensive examination to determine if you are a good candidate for dental implants, treatment takes place over the following phases:
- The surgical procedure where the dental implants are placed into the jawbone
- The healing time for the implants to become permanently integrated into the jawbone
- The restoration process where a custom-made dental crown is placed on top of the implant
How Can I Learn More about Dental Implants?
Our professional, warm and knowledgeable team looks forward to educating you on your tooth replacement options so you can choose the best restoration for your situation. We look forward to welcoming you and invite you to contact our Paddington, NSW dental surgery to learn more about tooth replacement options or to arrange your next dental appointment.