How do I take care of my Invisalign aligners?
Once you've opted for Invisalign, you'll need to be compliant about wearing the clear plastic aligners for at least 22 hours per day. Be sure to take good care of your aligners by following these suggestions.
- Because of their clear plastic appearance—rendering them virtually invisible—it's easy to lose your Invisalign clear plastic aligners. While eating, or whenever you need to store them, always place them in their case. We have heard too many stories at our Paddington, NSW dental clinic about patients who have wrapped their Invisalign aligners in a napkin, only to accidentally toss them in the bin.
- Keep your plastic aligners away from pets. Dogs love to chew on them.
- You should not smoke when wearing your aligners.
- Keep your clear aligners clean by brushing them with a toothbrush and toothpaste and rinse them in lukewarm water.
- Never use hot water on your aligners; it could permanently warp the plastic. You can also place your aligners in some cold water with a retainer tablet.
- Don't keep your aligners in the car; the sun can heat the aligners and permanently damage them.
If you've misplaced or damaged your clear plastic aligners, be sure to call our Paddington dental clinic. We can advise you on whether it's okay to switch to the next set or if we'll need to replace them.